Education in Mogpog started from the establishment of parochial schools during the Spanish era. This was followed by the opening of more schools with emphasis on mass education after the American occupation and the subsequent interest of the government in education.
According to the old folks, the first parochial schools were all in the poblacion. The subjects taught were reading, writing, arithmetic, grammar, music, and the doctrines of Christianity (caton). The lessons had to be memorized. Discipline was severe and exacting. Inhuman punishments were whipping, kneeling on sand or mongos, pounding the hands with wood, standing, and lying with face down on the floor. The teachers were the sons of well-to-do families of the town who had the chance to study in Manila.
School activities were interrupted during the revolution in 1898 and the American occupation. Schools were again opened in 1907 and classes in the primary grades were held in private houses. Among the early American teachers were Mr. Hebbs and Mr. Baker. Interested pupils continued their intermediate (Grade V-VII) schooling in Boac. They went to school by hiking. The first public school building known as the “Gabaldon” was constructed in 1914. This marked the opening of the intermediate classes in the municipality of Mogpog. Schools in the barrios were opened. The Home Economics building in the poblacion was built in 1930.
There was not much progress during the Japanese time. Attendance of pupils was poor and irregular. Classes resumed after the war in 1945. Except in the Central school and in few barrios, housing the school children was a problem. There was also a great need of funds to purchase needed equipment and supplies and the employment of professional teachers.
To solve these increasing demands, Parent-Teachers Associations were organized to help finance the schools of the immediate needs. Progress was noted during the succeeding years. Through the government’s efforts, new school buildings rose from the debris of war. The light of education shone bright over the whole municipality. Yearly enrollment increased gradually, In 1952-1953, twenty-two schools were already organized and staffed by seventy-four teachers with more than three thousand nine hundred pupils. School buildings were rehabilitated.
The Gabaldon Building
Mogpog was doing well with the new trends in education. In the late 60’s, Mogpog Central School was named as a pilot school in the division of Marinduque. This marked the highest point in the educational struggle of this town.
The school aims to improve pupils’ performance in all subject areas preferably in English, Mathematics, Science, Filipino and Hekasi, (Heograpiya, Kasaysayan, Sibika). Enhancement of teachers’ competence in the conduct of new innovative modes of instructions to achieve higher learning outcomes on these subjects is the primary concern of school leaders and administrators. This also includes computer literacy, leadership and management skills and values development.
The school curriculum is enriched and made responsive and functional. Classroom programs and schedules that suit the existing conditions, needs and demands of the school community are designed. Co-curriculum activities for the enhancement of pupil’s potentials and talents are provided. Partnership of the school and the parents is sought not only for children’s welfare but for community services as beautification, sanitation and food production.
A year-round program for teachers’ development is designed to ensure desirable outcomes of the teaching-learning process. Teachers undergo trainings and seminars and demonstration teachings in all levels to upgrade their teaching competencies. Likewise, pupils from the different schools participate in the district and division activities both in academic contests, co-curriculum activities and sports fest.
Out-of-school classes are conducted in some parts of the municipality through the mobile teachers. On curriculum implementation and delivery, proper development and compliance of the programs and policies of the ALS (Alternative Learning System) is being done through proper training of the OSY, thus, giving them the corresponding accreditation and equivalence.
The pre-schoolers are doing well in their studies. They, the Movers are alert and witty in performing their individual and group activities. They are like children having formal education. There are fifteen (15) pre-schoolers classes in the district. Honorarium of teacher-volunteers is sustained by the Local School Board. Pre-schoolers teachers undergo seminars, trainings and workshop to upgrade and enhance their performance.
Through the collaborative effort of the stakeholders, the PTCA, teachers, Sangguniang Barangay Officials, the Municipal and Provincial government, school facilities are reconstructed, repaired and maintained.
The materials as books, posters, science equipments, practical arts and garden tools, computers and other school supplies are provided in the schools and in the district office.
Desks, chairs, tables and other classroom accessories are distributed to newly-organized classes in the barangays.
Every school aims to make the school Reading Recovery Center functional to produce independent readers.
The Local School Board provides financial assistance to school needs for sports development and other services.
The office of the district supervisor is planning to put up a speech laboratory this school year 2011-2012.
The vision and mission of the school serve as a guiding principle to achieve quality education.
2. National High Schools
In addition to public elementary schools, six national high schools were organized and situated in their respective barangays.
- Balanacan National High School
- Argao National High School
- Sayao National High School
- Butansapa National High School
- Mogpog Comprehensive National
High School in Capayang
- Puting Buhangin National High
The two private high schools are in the poblacion; the Marinduque Academy and the Quezon-Roxas High School.
Mogpog National Comprehensive High School is one of the six established public high schools in the district of Mogpog. It was opened in 1997 with 62 students enrolled.
Through the effort of the Barangay Council of Capayang and the principal of Capayang Elem. School, Mrs. Carmencita J. Monteagudo, this school came into existence. With the help of Congresswoman Carmencita O. Reyes, this legislative school under Republic Act No. 7823 was approved by the Senate on November 18, 1994.